Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sweet Toddler Summer Tank

Edit: It has been almost a year and these tanks still fit my now 3 year old  who wears 3t.

I created this tank top after some frustration with the limited selection of free crochet patterns for toddlers.


This is very simple and I'd rank it as EASY. This is my first pattern so I hope it is understandable. Don't hesitate to ask questions and I'll do my best to help.
Before I decided to add flower appliques. Gotta love that crazy curly hair.

Please ignore the horrible lighting, my camera isn't a very good one.

For this pattern you will need

  • 5 ounces of worsted weight yarn. I used Red Heart Super Saver.
  • 1 5/8 inch button.
  • H/8-5.00mm hook (or hook to obtain gauge)
  • needle for weaving in ends
  • stitch markers or safety pins
GAUGE: 14 sts = 4 inches
SIZE: approximately 24 months or 2T (chest 21.5 inches)
Chain 2 at beginning of each row/round counts as stitch

Special Stitches
Double V stitch: 2DC, Ch1, 2DC in same stitch. This may go by another name but this is what I call it.
V stitch: DC, Ch1, DC in same stitch.
Shell: 6DC in same stitch.
Spike: Refer to Craftsy SP-2

Chain 73

Row 1: HDC in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across. 72 stitches
Row 2-6: chain 2, turn, HDC in each stitch across. 72 stitches

At the end of row 6 bring the ends of the row together and slip stitch into the beginning chain or the row as pictured. From this point on you will be working in rounds without turning.



Round 1: chain 1, SC in each stitch around, join to first stitch. 72 stitches


Finish off and change colors

Round 2: Ch2, in same stitch {DC, Ch1, 2DC} makes first Double V stitch, *skip 2 sts, in next stitch make a V stitch, skip 2 sts, in next stitch make a Double V stitch. Continue from * making 10 more Double V stitches and 11 more V stitches. You will end with a V stitch and slst to top of Ch2



Round 3-13: Slst into chain space of Double V, Ch2 DC, Ch1, 2DC in space, *in next ch sp make V stitch, in next ch sp make a Double V stitch. Continue from * making 10 more Double V stitches and 11 more V stitches. You will end with a V stitch and slst to top of Ch2


Round 14: Ch1, SC in each stitch and chain of the row below, slst to beginning.

Round 15: SC in each st.

At this point the top should measure a little over 10 inches.


Fasten off and change colors.

Round 16: Ch1, skip 2 stitches, *in next stitch 6DC (shell), skip 2 stitches, spike, skip 2 stitches. Continue from *, join with slst. 16 shells.
Finish of yarn.


Top should now be 11 inches

At this point we will mark the places for the straps.

Starting in on either side of the center back count over 10 stitches, mark this stitch. Count over 3 more stitches, mark this stitch. Count over 14 stitches, mark this stitch. Count over 3 more stitches, mark this stitch. The markers you just placed are for one strap. Now to to the other side of the back and repeat this for the other strap. Once both straps are marked there will be 12 stitches between the front straps.



Row 1: Join yarn to the first marked stitch on the front, Ch2, HDC in next 3 stitches.


Row 2-14: Ch2, turn, HDC in next 3 stitches.
Straps will be 6.5 inches long

Cut yarn leaving long tail for sewing to other side. Line the end of the strap up with the marked stitches on the back and whip stitch together. I like to go back across after stitching because it makes me feel better knowing how my daughter pulls on her clothes.

Repeat for other strap. I crocheted both straps before sewing to the other side. You can do them however you want.

Now add your button and weave in ends. Use any of the spaces between the top row of HDC for buttonhole. I like the adjustability of this rather than having a specific loop for the button. I can button it a little tighter if needed.






Now you can add an applique if you would like. For this shirt I don't want an applique but for the pink one I used Mollie Makes small flower pattern. However it is written in European/British terms. For a conversion chart go here.


Ignore the cushion stains, I only meant this photo to be shared with a friend but this one is currently in the wash so I had to make do.

Add to your library on Ravelry.com

5 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. I am a great aunt to a 2 year old and I want to make her so many things but once they are out of baby sizes, the patterns sure dry up, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using thinner baby yarn could you tell me how wide the top portion (rows 1-6) is before you start the open lacey area? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only estimate because I can't for the life of me figure out where the tanks are but I'd say about 3 inches. If I find the missing bag of summer clothes I'll measure and update it.

      Delete